This juicy and tender baked chicken dish is subtle yet packed with delicious herbs and spices using my special seasoned salt blend called CRAVINGS. My baked chicken legs and potatoes are seasoned with goodies such as oregano, rosemary, and smoked paprika, and of course, lots of olive oil. Surrounded by sliced roasted potatoes also seasoned to perfection!
Baked chicken is a great healthy choice as a protein packed meal
Of course, who doesn’t love fried chicken, right? Maybe in moderation, it’s ok, but for me, I always go for the baked. Ok, well, baked goods aren’t included! Sometimes using simple ingredients such as lemon juice, lemon, zest, garlic, and olive oil is all you need for a lip-smacking delicious meal.
Each leg contains about 21 PLUS grams of protein. So, depending on body weight, two drumsticks will make your recommended daily intake of protein. If you are very active and work out, you can consume more protein. This means, another drumstick, please!
Ingredients you will need for Multi-Herb Baked Chicken Legs
Chicken: I found an excellent deal on Amazon for 8 chicken legs for $6 and I snatched up 4 packs. I use chicken that isn’t pumped with antibiotics or steroids.
Garlic: I use both garlic powder and minced garlic for the rub. Fine chop your garlic for more garlic coverage. I also use garlic powder just to bump up that garlic flavor. Who doesn’t love more garlic?
Onions: Use a good quality onion powder. You can definitely taste the difference. I use more powdered herbs and spices for chicken bakes because the flavor is more concentrated and full bodied. That is why you only need to use half of the amount
Oregano: Speaking of fresh vs. powdered. I prefer a fresh oregano if it’s available. I feel the fresh herb is more robust.
Smoked paprika: Smoked paprika, which is made from peppers, has a smoky sweet aroma. It will add a touch of smokiness to your chicken
Chili powder: Chili powder usually consists of a combo of different spices. For a touch of pungency, add a bit of chili powder to the rub.
Red bell peppers: You will only need one for this. Be sure to remove the seeds and the pith. You can roast the red peppers first or use store bought.
Potatoes: Use russet potatoes as they are heartier and bake well under high heat. Brush with olive oil, season with salt and pepper.
Olive oil: Lot’s of olive oil! Olive oil makes this baked chicken dish’s flavor profile pop! If you have have deep pockets, splurge on high-end olive oil. Olive oils come in a variety of flavor just like a fine wine.
Salt and pepper: Just a dash of salt and a healthy grind of black pepper makes this chicken dish sing!
Tip for making perfect Baked Herb Chicken Legs and Potatoes
- Keep an eye on your chicken and potatoes. Check the bake every 10 minutes or so and baste if the chicken appears dry on top, because just when you think it’s all right to set it and forget it, your chicken is will be dryer than the desert!
- Let the chicken marinade in the refrigerator for several hours or even over night for the most flavor infused baked chicken legs.
- Soak the potato discs in cold water for a few hours prior to assembling. Soaking the potatoes will remove extra starch and prevent them from sticking together.
- Brushing on a little extra olive mid-bake will not only add extra flavor, but will ensure a nice crsipy outer layer.
- For the best tasting baked chicken, season very well.
This juicy and tender baked chicken dish is subtle yet packed with delicious herbs and spices such as oregano, rosemary and smoked parica, and of course, lots of olive oil. Surrouded by sliced roasted potatoes, seasoned to perfection!
- 8 large drumsticks
- 5 russet potatoes, sliced
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 2 tablespoons Cravings Seasoned Salt (Gregory’s special seasoned salt blend)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
CRAVINGS (Gregory’s Special Seasoned Salt Blend)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprike
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnimon
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a small bowl, mix together the CRAVINGS seasoned salt, lemon zest, lemon juice and one tablespoon of olive oil.
- Place the chicken legs in a large bowl and add in the CRAVINGS season salt and olive oil mixture. Toss until the legs are fully coated. Set in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours (or overnight).
- Slice each potato into 1/2 inch discs. Lightly dust with the CRAVINGS seasoned salt.
- Set the seasoned chicken legs onto a baking sheet. Line the potatoes in between the chicken legs. Brush chicken legs and potatoes with more of the CRAVINGS seasoned salt and olive oil mixture.
- Loosely cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake uncovered for an additional 25 minutes, or until the chicken and the edges of the potatoes start to crisp.
Keywords: Baked Herb Chicken Legs and Potatoes