Today I felt a little extra. So, I needed to make a brownie that was ultra extra. This super moist, ooey-gooey brownie has mini-marshmallows, chocolate covered walnuts and a homemade caramel sauce and dark chocolate drizzle. The perfect brownie to send you over into hyper-drive Wonka-land.
OK. So, I am supposed to be chillin’ on the sugar intake. I’ve been pretty good not to eat the sweets as I style and photograph them. Maybe a nibble here and there, but as a single guy, I do what I can to make sure that the brownies leave the building and into my neighbor’s tummies.
How do you make salted caramel sauce?
I just started to learn how to make fresh caramel sauce and it’s so easy. I LOVE making it! This recipe didn’t call for caramel sauce, but I’m the kind of guy who goes the extra mile with all the bells-n-whistles.
The salted caramel sauce is pretty simple. It just takes a careful eye and a smidge of patience.
Sugar: White granulated sugar is the way to go.
Butter: Unsalted butter is what I use for my caramel sauce. You’ll be adding salt so using unsalted butter works the best.
Heavy Cream: A pint of heavy cream divided in half is the measurement you’ll need. Meaning, only a half a cup is all you need.
Essentially you take the sugar and 1/4 cup of water and add them to a 4 quart sauce pan. Bring to a boil and let it simmer without stirring until the sugar begins to turn an amber color. Close to the color of honey. Being careful not to burn the sugar syrup. Then you add the butter, take it of the heat and whisk in the cream, vanilla and salt. There you have a scrumptious salted caramel sauce that is also perfect on pancakes and ice cream!
Ingredients for rocky road brownies and salted caramel sauce:
- Vanilla extract
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Dark chocolate chips
What are Rocky Road Brownies?
I’m sure you’ve heard of rocky road ice cream, right? It’s chocolate ice cream with nuts and marshmallows. It’s the same concept but in brownie form.
Cocoa powder: This seals the deal. The unsweetened cocoa powder adds this rich chocolatey punch that is essential for a chocolate brownie.
Semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips: I love dark chocolate. Dark chocolate is bitter and less sweet than milk chocolate. This is best to keep the sweet level at bay.
Marshmallows: Marshmallows are divine. You can use marshmallow spread for this too.
Tips for the best Rocky Road Brownie Explosion
- Have you ever had a bakery brownie that was so moist and fudgy in the middle? Well, that is because when brownies are under baked, they will come out super fudgy. They still continue to bake as they cool, but I assure that you will be happy you under baked your brownies.
- For perfectly cut squares, place the sheet of brownies in the freezer for 10-15 minutes and cut into squares using a long serrated knife. Especially if you decided to add in everyting excpet the kitchen sink, you will want to firm up the brownie before cutting it into squares.
An ooey-gooey chocloate brownie with chocolate covered walnuts, mini-marshmallows, and salted caramel.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flower
- 1/4 cup dutch-processed unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 ounces bitter sweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 eggs plus one yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup walnuts, rough chop
- I cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Rocky Road Brownies
- Pre-heat oven at 350° F. Line an 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in 4 quart sauce pan, on low. Add the sugar and stir until combined and the suagr butter mixture starts to bubble up.
- Remove from heat, and add the chopped chocolate. Stir until melted and combined. Transfer sugar mixture to a large mixing bowl. Stir in the rest of the ingredients except the chocolate chips.
- Fold in the chocolate chips, walnuts and marshmallows.
- Pour into the parchment paper lined pan, spread evenly out.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Place in the freezer for 15-20 minutes before drizzling with the salted caramel sauce and cutting them into 9 squares.
Salted Carmel Sauce
- Add the sugar and water to a 4 quart sauce pan over medium low heat.
- Let the sugar and water some to a bowl, and stop stirring.
- Allow to boil untilt the syrup turnns the color of honey.
- Whisk in the butter. The mixture is going to bubble up and rise, so take great caution.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the cream, vanilla and salt,
- Add peanutbutter or cream cheese – the sky is the limit!
- Store the caramel sauce in an airtight refrigerator container, and it will last up to a week.
Keywords: salted caramel, brownies, rocky road, chocolate, marshmallows